shimabon asked: I'm new to korean indie music so I don't know where to start... who are so amazing female artists to listen to?
oooh tons of awesome ladies who make music in the indie scene. I’m not sure what you are into (pop? hard rock? edm?) but here are some of my recent faves and all-time faves. Female singer-songwriters and bands fronted by ladies! :
- Lucia / 심규선 - lovely voice, really lovely music. lovely all around. x
- Han Hee Jung! a must! awesome music! x
- Nastyona is a personal favourite of mine, if you are into stuff that’s a bit more creepy. a band fronted by Yona, I believe she’s the only member now. x
- I always mention Casker because Casker can do no wrong. Electronic duo consisting of Juuno and Yoongjin. Yoongjin sings. Juuno sings sometimes as well. x
- Taru’s a bit of a staple. x
- So is Yozoh. x
- Dear Cloud rocks a lot. Nine9 has a beautiful voice. x
- 3rd Line Butterfly is a must. x
- Dalmoon / Oksangdalbit / 옥상달빛 are really hot right now! x
- I love Jo Won Sun’s voice! She was the vocalist of Rollercoaster, now does solo stuff. x x
- Oh Ji Eun! x
- Jaurim, fronted by Kim Yoon Ah, is pretty legendary. great and varied discography. youtube them!
- Neon Bunny makes really great synthpop music. She’ll be releasing a single this week! x
- Sogyumo Acacia Band is really good x
- Winterplay if you are into jazzy stuff x
- I’m suuuper into saram12saram’s stuff right now x
- Yaya! x
- Look and Listen for some punk! x
- Kumca (꿈에 카메라를 가져올걸) is so dreeeeammy and lovely x
Other than that…: Yukari, Lovexstereo, Lucite Tokki, Autumn Vacation, Puer Kim, Lang Lee, Amado Ijaram Band (아마도 이자람 밴드), Siwa, Mukimukimanmansu, Whang Bo Ryung=Smacksoft, Rubystar, Mystery Curtain (수상한 커튼), Earip (이아립), Fromm…. ah the list is endless, they’re all so good. If you have the time I’d try youtubing them all!
Can’t quarrel too much with this list, but I would add Yeongene (Linus’ Blanket), Morrie 모리, and deb 뎁. Three essentials from the K-indies!
And don’t forget newcomer Callia Joo, one of my new favorites. =D
I was halfway through setting up for my Thursday gig, when the bar manager came over to ask me why I was there on WEDNESDAY.
Why? Because I’m an idiot, that’s why. D’oh!